the elmbrook historical society
founded in 1977, the elmbrook historical society is an affiliate of the wisconsin historical society. it currently has over 175 members who care deeply about preserving the history of brookfield and elm grove and its historic buildings. the dousman stagecoach inn museum is its main project.
an active organization, the elmbrook historical society hosts a number of activities that are open to the public. these include:
- lectures on a variety of historic topics that are held on monday evenings during the months of march, may, and september at the brookfield public library
- docent led tours of the historic dousman stagecoach inn museum, the only building in brookfield that is listed on the national register of historic places
- walking tours of local historic interest
- special fund raising events such as:
in addition, our members:
- maintain the dousman stagecoach inn museum, a stately greek revival inn built in 1843, its gardens and its outbuildings
- collect and display artifacts at the dousman stagecoach inn museum reflecting the period of 1840 to 1872
- archive documents and record information of historical interest from area residents
- work to preserve buildings of historic interest in brookfield and elm grove
in these and many other ways, the elmbrook historical society works to preserve the history of brookfield and elm grove for generations to come.